Spring is in the air here in West Valley City and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Select Comfort Systems Heating & Air Conditioning team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post photos of your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Select Comfort Systems Heating & Air Conditioning in West Valley City a call at 801-305-4777.