According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have pests or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to reach out to Select Comfort Systems Heating & Air Conditioning in West Valley City about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Select Comfort Systems Heating & Air Conditioning. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Examining your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
More ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your West Valley City home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Select Comfort Systems Heating & Air Conditioning at 801-305-4777 or schedule an appointment online.