They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly true when discussing your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to professionals, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve general AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the common problems it faces can empower you to tackle simple problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you dollars on minor service calls, but knowing when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into major repairs.
Your Air conditioner is an important element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified specialist for air conditioning repair in West Valley City if you're uncertain about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are some common questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a smart way to make sure it runs efficiently, and very well could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective step you can take on your own is to swap out the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter traps dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating throughout your home. If your AC filter becomes choked with debris, the air conditioner has to work harder than it should in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be ordered from your local HVAC expert. A good way to make sure you get the correct filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are hoping to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at Select Comfort Systems to do routine maintenance on your AC. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential issues.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor AC unit is functioning efficiently, it’s important to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outside unit of your cooling system is an easy way to increase its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which are attached to extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the cooler air outside. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can absorb more heat from the air within your home. Washing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, as opposed to turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can access the insides of the unit. Then, taking care not to stress any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Apply a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and working down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to dissolve the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Be careful not to spray very hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning the power back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how much it's used. That said, pros say you should start thinking about air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your air conditioner is through regularly scheduled conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Select Comfort Systems features cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as replacing the filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in West Valley City.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Choosing the proper size of air conditioner for your home is crucial for achieving comfort and efficiency. Here are some elements to consider when deciding what size air conditioner is right for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you need to cool is one of the most important factors. Bigger spaces require more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which should decrease your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you reside in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows can let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of residents: More people in the house create more body heat, which may impact your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and performance of your current system can provide a place to start for deciding what you need.
Given that the size of your cooling system is so important to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Select Comfort Systems, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other factors such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why Select Comfort Systems is known for superb air conditioning installation in West Valley City.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the type of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new air conditioning system generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good thing is that new air conditioners are designed to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that require modifications to the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always helpful to get at least a few quotes from reliable HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re contemplating air conditioning replacement in West Valley City, reach out to Select Comfort Systems. We will schedule an appointment to provide you with a free estimate, make sure you understand the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be due to a number of factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is very likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical causes of AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't sufficiently absorb heat. This could be due to a plugged air filter, blocked return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is getting low on refrigerant, it may grow too cold and freeze up. This is frequently a consequence of leaks in the refrigerant lines.
- Frosty outdoor temperatures: Running an air conditioner when it's really cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to perform in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and trouble with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
Select Comfort Systems is the Respected Source for Air Conditioning Service in West Valley City.
At Select Comfort Systems, we will make your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our experienced technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in West Valley City and the surrounding cities.
If you’re seeking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-class air conditioning installation in West Valley City. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Call Select Comfort Systems today at 801-305-4777 to schedule an appointment or no-cost estimate!